Tuesday, March 30, 2010

finishing up my university experience

I graduate from BYU in April. I took a "Senior Survey" and wanted to share some things i wrote to illustrate just how valuable my university experience has been...

Survey question:
Think of a non-religion course that profoundly influenced you both intellectually and spiritually. What was it about the course (including the instructor) that was so significant for you? Please be as specific as you can.

My response:
Dr. Nate Kramer taught my Humanities 202 course. I took the class to fulfill my last civilization requirement. He was so good at introducing how to think and discuss art and its reflection of history in an analytical way. It was only after a couple classes that i felt comfortable contributing to discussion and expressing my personal reflections about the topic at hand. He was always very charismatic about listening to and expounding upon or just accepting every comment made in class- this created a comfortable setting for all of us students where we felt safe in exploring new ideas and concepts that may have been unfamiliar to us.

He applied spirituality in a very practical way. I remember learning about a poet who wrote about the almost "prophet-like" characteristics poets have in that they understand things more and are just above the normal human and can communicate with God, almost. This poet lived around the same time as Joseph Smith. Dr. Kramer explained that Joseph Smith was described to have these characteristics of a prophet-like poet by intellectuals not of the Mormon faith. My testimony was strengthened to hear about how others not of the Mormon faith that had met Joseph, recognized his spiritual connectedness and ability to prophesy and commune with God directly.

Throughout the course Dr. Kramer would challenge our thinking. When we'd study art pieces that seemed "weird" or irreverent he would ask why they were weird or irreverent. I learned that while I have my own values and experiences, others have different values and experiences. This helped me learn about God's love for all of His children. We read a book about a small African tribe that practiced rituals that seemed to go against all things normal and right to most of us in the class. But, as I read it, I realized that these people were doing what they felt was right and best for their families. I am grateful to have a knowledge of the Gospel and for how it shapes my habits and priorities, but there are many without that knowledge and it would be unfair to judge their worth or character based upon their actions when they know no different. Dr. Kramer helped me learn that.

At the end of the course he summed up what he had been trying to do all semester. He taught that learning about art/customs/history is a way of becoming more like Christ. As we learn more about how someone feels/thinks and how that is expressed through art/poetry/literature, we do not have to agree with or accept ideas that go against our spiritual knowledge but we can instead try to understand them as children of God with their own experiences that have shaped who they are.

My love for people of different races/religions/backgrounds/etc. grew immensely throughout this course. I will live the rest of my life with a greater appreciation for the diversity of God's creations because of this course.

1 comment:

  1. This makes me want to take that class! :) You're so right. Perspective is everything. Everyone has different experiences and influences, and we will do our best to love them for and in spite of those things. Even in my own culture I try to give people the benefit of the doubt, and realize that everyone is doing their best with what they know, how they feel, etc.

    ReplyDelete