Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Addicted to Social Media Approval


I think I'm losing my identity because of my addiction to social media approval.

What is this obsession, verging on addiction, I have of “likes” and “comments”?  
I love to share my thoughts, experiences, pictures, beliefs but have I become so diseased that unless the number on the bottom of the box is big I begin to think that what I’ve shared is not as valuable?
Is this one of the reasons why people leave Facebook?
Should I leave Facebook, Instagram and the Blogosphere?

The addiction began with the first like.  Then I accepted more followers and expected more likes.  To my delight, they came.  Now, if I have over 20 likes, I know it was a good picture.
But, wait… that makes no sense.
It’s only a good picture when others like it?

There was a time I took pictures on Instagram only for myself, I had no followers.  I didn't even know I could have followers! Haha, I must have not looked that deeply into the name :).

I guess I just need to choose whether the pictures/status updates/blog entries I create are for me or my followers and then accept the plenty or more common lack of "likes" and comments if that's their purpose.  But, it has been difficult for me lately to distinguish between something done for me or for others because I personally get so much when others like and respond to what I've written or captured!

There’s a physical rush I feel when I see people have “liked” my status or my photo or commented on my blog.  That rush spills over to my mind and I feel almost invincible.  I start to think that all of my ideas are amazing and I am really an important person.  It is a literal high.  These highs become addictive.

 Do I need that approval, that high, to feel good about who I am?
Has it come to that?!  To place my worth in the hands of my Facebook friends and Instagram/Blog followers?

But who can blame me?  I should have seen it coming.

One of my long-time blogger crushes, Taza, has 150,000 followers on Instagram and receives an average of 8,000 "likes" on her pictures. Can you believe that? I guess I can, considering the popularity of her blog, the perfection of her and her children’s wardrobe, the wonder of her photography, the seemingly picture-perfect marriage she depicts and the attention she has consequently received in many other forms of media.

Is she my measure of success?  I think subliminally it has come to that.   I read her blog every day for a few minutes and feel better when I do.  Why?  Personally I think it’s because I have successfully escaped my world and all the imperfections I am I all too familiar with and entered someone else’s perfect world.  We have enough in common that I feel I’ve almost adopted her life sometimes.  She’s a dancer, she loves music, she loves her children, she’s Mormon, and she loves food. So… we’re pretty much the same person, right?

No, that’s not right.

Maybe that’s it.  Maybe following blogs and worrying about social media approval has aided in the slow and sad process of me losing my identity.

What did I gauge my success against before? 

Ideally my success as a human being is measured only against my potential and myself. 

I think that when I let my mind and time be caught up in the lives of others I naturally compare my own to theirs.

Maybe it is a time for a social media break.

Why does that scare me?

Because I know how badly I’ll miss the approval I glean from both outlets.

If I were my own best friend I would tell myself this:

Minta, I love you.  You are so beautiful.  You shine.  When you know who you are and cling to that, you bring so much light and love to everyone you meet.  Your greatest potential will be reached when you let go of outside approval and jump with both feet into a life of faith in the Creator and service to His children.  You know that you’ve been happiest when you live your life like that. 

Remember those 18 months you spent on a mission.  You had never heard of Facebook or Instagram, you didn’t text, you didn’t check your email but once a week.  You didn’t even talk to the ones you loved most very often.  What you did was make plans to help people in your area know their own potential and worked all day to follow those plans.  You loved everyone around you and you didn’t easily take offense.  You wiped away tears of frustration and weariness in order to help families understand that they could be together forever.

No, your life can never be like that again.  That time was an incredible privilege of yours.  Emails, texts, calls are now a necessary part of the interacting and planning in your daily life.  You now get to talk to your family whenever you want.  And, although you are no longer required to plan every 30-minute increment of your 15-hour day, you have responsibilities that are just as important and require just as much dedication and sometimes planning.

You’re a mother.  That is the most important accomplishment you could hope for.  Not just to have a child, but to then live well in order to be a good example.  Your time is well spent when it’s spent helping your child learn and develop.  Every time you sing the ABC’s to, dance with, or teach your child how to work you’re making another divot in the mold that will become that child’s being.  You and your husband are responsible for instilling confidence, love, forgiveness, obedience, faithfulness, gratitude in your child’s self.  But don’t worry, like I said before, it’s in the small things that you already do every day that will help you achieve this! You’re on your way to becoming the mother you’ve dreamed of being. 

So, don’t worry what other people think.  There will come a day that your own daughter, whom you’ve given so many days to love and rear, will reject you and go against what you’ve taught.  Even then, your worth will not change.

Even then you’re an eternally worthwhile soul that has come to this earth with a purpose and done all you can to fulfill it.  You can be happy to know that the only acceptance and approval that will matter in the end is yours.  You will be your final judge.  Please remember that.

Can I do this?  Could I stop social media for a week? A month?  Would it be good for me?  What do you think?

8 comments:

  1. I too have struggled with this same thing. That is why I am so off and on with blogging. I hate the feeling I was getting when I was worrying about what I thought others would find interesting, not what I wanted to do. I see myself falling into the trap of feeling like I need the validation of "likes." That is why I am working on getting off social media and getting back to life. Thank you for sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your thoughts and for sharing what you've gone through regards to this. I can relate with what you said. I feel better already, though, after writing this and sharing it... like I've admitted it was a problem and now I can move on and live differently, without worrying about what people think. Now, to always remember that and not let myself fall into the same approval-seeking habit! Love ya, Emily. Miss you and hope you're well.

      Delete
  2. I totally find myself checking back to see how many people 'liked' my picture or post or whatever. I definitely like the feeling of approval that comes from seeing page views and likes... but I try not to let that be my only focus and just post whatever is meaningful to me.

    Even though looking at # of likes has pitfalls, being able to see that someone other than my mom is viewing my blog or Instagram encourages me to keep going! I used to not update my blog very often until my hubby showed me how to connect it to Google Analytics. Then I was like, "More than two people viewed my post?? Wow, I thought it was just me and my mom!" Haha. So getting positive feedback has definitely encouraged me to keep up with a hobby I love. I try hard not to let it get in the way of real life, but it's a hard balance.

    p.s. I totally have a blogging crush on Love Taza/Rockstar Diaries too. I'm pretty sure everyone in the blogging world does though... she is just so gosh darn positive and cute!

    p.p.s. Sorry this is the longest comment ever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What you said makes a lot of sense. I also think it's cool that my writing can touch others and if I can remember that even if it has only touched one other person, that it's worth it. I love to write and blogging is one of the easiest places to continue that. Thanks, Stella!

      Delete
  3. Good read, Minta.

    I think there are things you can do on a smaller scale than abstinence that will be just as productive without sacrificing what has clearly become a valuable social connection. (Yes, I had to think twice before typing that - Facebook is, admittedly, a valuable social tool, no matter how gross that tastes leaving my lips) For example, you might try paying special attention to who "likes" your status/picture/etc, and ponder for a moment on why they liked it.

    Social media is valuable only if we remember the individuals that are on the other end of all the 1's and 0's.

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great advice! I am going to do exactly what you suggested. Thanks, Rory. P.S. I saw on FB that you're soon going to defend (or already have) your thesis, what an exciting accomplishment! Congrats and I hope it goes well! Take care.

      Delete
  4. I'm guilty of this, too, Minta. It's hard to find a good balance, I think. I know exactly what you mean about getting a thrill out of getting attention there. But, for me, the biggest challenge is all the TIME I spend when I could (and should) be doing other things. It's awesome that it helps me stay connected to people I love, but it can really eat up valuable time if you let it (and I do, too much!). Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Love you lots. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so true. Especially with our little ones at our feet begging for our attention! I love you, Em! Thanks for your thoughts :)

      Delete